Saturday 30 June 2007

UWC AC

Hello everyone!


The next two years of my life I'll be spending at Atlantic College the United World College in Wales. I'm guessing that in the next two years I'll be having quite a busy lifestyle, so instead of constantly writing emails to everyone with more or less the same things written in them or group emails I decided to start this blog. I think that this should be more convenient than mail or email but I can't promise that it won't fall behind sometimes. But I promise to do my best to keep it up to date!




Atlantic College is located on the Bristol Channel in a 12th century castle. The nearest town is called Llantwit Major. It's about 5 minutes away from the school.

There are about 330 students from over 80 different countries at AC. There are 7 houses on campus which which each accommodate around 48 students. I'll be sharing a room with 3 more people, two second years and one more first year. I guess for someone coming from WK that will be something to get used to since we had our own rooms (although they were small). But in the end I think it will be an excellent experience living with 3 people form different nationalities in one room.



For those of you who don't know much about
the United World Colleges (and for those who may not find much interest in paying attention during assembly at WK :p), so far there are 12 United World Colleges around the world. UWC was founded in 1962 and originated in the ideas of German educationalist Kurt Hahn. The first UWC was Atlantic College in Wales. At the UWC schools there is a a strong emphasis on community service and they have a wide variety of cultural and outdoor activities.






The mission statement of UWC is:

"Through international education, shared experience and community service, United World Colleges enable young people to become responsible citizens, politically and environmentally aware, and committed to the ideals of peace and justice, understanding and cooperation through action and personal example."



It's basically July now and I have another two months to go and then a completely new phase of my life will begin with many new experiences and new friendships. In two weeks I'll be on my way to Germany from where I'll travel to Wales in September. Many hard goodbyes are still coming my way in this short time I've got left in a place I've called my home for the past eight years. Then it's off to Germany and a whole new adventure in September.

Stay tuned for more...


Miriam

9 comments:

Unknown said...

hey baby!!
first one here!!
good luck.. i know you will do well..
i'll miss you though but it's cool..
i know you'll enjoy your two years there.. i bet you can't wait...

I love you!

drei

Unknown said...

w00t, #2 :P

Great blog.

You've been really excited about this place and I hope you like it there.

I also hope you update it often; I'm curious to know how you'll find the place once you actually get there :D.

Take care.

Jay

Anonymous said...

Hey miriam

Damn ur so lucky to go 2 tht school... damn man, u even hav a bar there! Anyways, jus dont go bk 2 ur usual drinkin habits! it's bad! haha jokes!

Will miss u tons chika... and don't u dare loose my contact, i'll hunt u down if u do!

Cheers menina

Wishing u the best

Anne

malucagirlzzz said...

Hey Cinthia here
I loved da pictures!!!
and i loved da blog!!!
hehe 2day iz 1 day b4 u go 4 good
=(,friday july 13,
eish friday 13,freaky...
ill miss u loadz
sorry if i was a bit cold at da bye
i jz i rele ddnt knw wat 2 say
nor wat 2 do
im not used 2 byes =(
anywayz i wish u good luck in evrything u do!
hope u spend ur 2 yrz at da AC
rele well!
nd jz lik u sed dat oder ppl sed hope u spend da best yrz of ur life der!
ill alwayz remmbr u
bye smuac take care
keep in touch

Mymy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mymy said...

Hei Miri!! :)
Your blog is great! Maybe I should consider to write in English too - but my English is too bad and I'm too lazy anyway.... ^^
I'm really looking forward to meet you in september!!!

Best wishes...

Anonymous said...

Hallo Miriam!
Dein Blog ist super, das muss ja ziemlich viel Arbeit sein:-).
Ich werde immer wieder reinschauen, mach weiter so. Ich wünsche dir viel, viel Glück in deiner neuen Schule.
Deine Brieffreundin, Kathi

Anonymous said...

Hallo Miriam!
Dein Blog ist super, das muss ja ziemlich viel Arbeit sein:-).
Ich werde immer wieder reinschauen, mach weiter so. Ich wünsche dir viel, viel Glück in deiner neuen Schule.
Deine Brieffreundin, Kathi

Anonymous said...

Si tu pense il n'y a pas aucune personne que lis ton blog.. Ce n'est pas vrai. Je vais toujours attendre avec les autres.

3